Monday 14 April 2014

Swing card tutorial



Good morning, this is being scheduled so I am hoping it pops up on Monday morning to tie in with the post over at Prickly Pear Stamps blog here.

I had seen a few of these swing concertina style cards around blogland so decided to have a go for myself and thought I would share my version with you all. Note added: Since I created this card using the Cricut and scheduled this post I found that Sizzix have a new swing card die which makes something very similar.

Basic materials – they will depend on what stamps, dies and colours you choose. I used these Prickly Pear stamps and dies: Lovebird on branchLarge Calla LilyApril ShowersPoinsettia stamp and dieLeaf dies and Fall leaves, Flourish oval nesting die

To start you will need five A4 (similar to foolscap in the States) sheets of reasonable weight cardstock, take four of them to create eight identical shapes with an aperture in the middle. I cut these on my Cricut but you could just as easily cut them with dies.

From the fifth sheet of card cut the hanging central pieces, again you will need two for each section so eight in total. Remember it will need to be a little smaller that the aperture to allow room for it to hang and move. I used my offcuts to cut some leaves and flowers to decorate one hanging section. You also need to cut and score three narrow spines from the offcuts according to the size of your main card base, these will be used to hold the four sections together.

Next stamp four of the eight main sections, or you could cover with Design Papers.


I like to add dimension to my flowers so after colouring with the same distress inks I dab with Versamark and spritz with Glimmer Mist pearl, this makes them very pliable, almost like leather and they can be moulded into shape. As the idea of the ink and mist is to make the colours bleed you need to use a medium such as distress ink or watercolour pencils, it’s won’t work with Copics and similar.

Once you have stamped and coloured all four of the inner sections lay out all the pieces ready to join up the elements.

Working on one section at a time take the bottom unstamped pieces of both the outer and inner of the card and fix a piece of flexible but strong cord down the centre top to bottom. At this point also fix the spine into place, followed by the top stamped sections, continue the same with all four pieces and you will have your completed card.

This is a real fun card to make, it’s not quick but well worth the time to create something a little bit different. Any questions please do mail me.

47 comments:

ribenaruby said...

This is fabulous Brenda, gorgeous creation! Ruby x

ellyscard creatief said...

This is a beautiful creation Brenda.
Love the colors,looks very elegant.
Gr Elly

gwen70 said...

Absolutely stunning Brenda, love the style of cards and the stamps are gorgeous

Beryl said...

This is gorgeous Brenda. Thanks for the very clear tutorial.
Hope you are doing OK.
Beryl xx

Jaya Raghuvanshi said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial! the panels look fabulous and the flower is gorgeous! I was actually wondering when I saw it the first time as how you made it..!! It looks quite a task without die-cutting machines.. but I am definitely going to give it a try!

Marianne's Craftroom said...

So delicate and pretty

Wendy L said...

Love this style of card Brenda, will try to give it a go now, thanks.
Hope you are not feeling to bad. Hugs xxxx

Marianne said...

Oh my, thanks for showing how to make such a lovely card. Love the papers and stamps you used and ofcourse your lovely selfmade flowers. Great creation!!
xxx Marianne

Unknown said...

Stunning and clever you making it on the cricut....I paid a fortune for the die.xxxAnnie

Gerrina said...

Just beautiful! And the way you made it is stunning! Hugs, Gerrina

Lau W said...

OMG ! so beautiful work ! delicate creation, superb !
xxx

Sue said...

This is stunning Brenda. The design is wonderful and I love all your beautiful detailing.
Thank you for your fabulous tutorial too.
Take care, Sue xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning Brenda and very cleverly put together! For those of us that can't afford all those expensive new dies this makes a brilliant alternative! Love hoow you put this together!

Dr Sonia S V said...

Awesome tutorial Brenda!

KandA said...

Wow, this is so beautiful Brenda. Such lovely colours and images and I love the flower you made xx

paperpapier said...

what a beautiful swing card, I love the the pastel floral colour and pattern on this card. The diy flowers are super gorgeous!

Lynn (delphinoid) said...

Gorgeous Card Brenda!

I've also seen these style of cards around and keep thinking to myself I must have a go.

Thanks for sharing with us how you did yours.

Happy Crafting!!! :) X X

rachel said...

beautiful card and a great tutorial Brenda - love this xx

Marianne said...

This is gorgeous, Brenda! Not sure if this card lends itself for sending through the post, but I would like to give it a go myself, so I'd better think of a worthy recipient closer by...
Marianne x

Whisper said...

Absolutely fabby tutorial hun, and i'm very tempted to buy the Sizzix die, as i so love the effect, Luv Sam x

Bad Kitty said...

great tutorial and beautiful card.

Tanya said...

Stunning card Brenda, and great tutorial as well :) Sorry I haven't been visiting much lately - had a huge order of wedding invitations so haven't had time to do anything else, but I'm freeee now! :D

Tags xx

♥Gemma♥ said...

A truly stunning card Brenda and thank you for stopping by mine and leaving such a sweet comment on my challenge card...
hugs and xxx
Gemma

Sarah said...

Wow Brenda, this is glorious and a great tutorial too!! xx

Sally H said...

Breathtaking card and a wonderful tutorial, Brenda. Love it! I will definitely have a go at one of these x

Berina RGA said...

this is fabulous!! thanks for sharing the tutorial Brenda... would love to make it!
-Berina
Moxie Craftie

Donna Ellis said...

How springy and happy your amazing card is, Brenda. Thank you for showing the cricut version, I've not see it before. And for laying it all out to view. Love colors, and such a sweet remembrance to use as a spring decoration. Thanks again for the fab tutorial! hugs, de

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Thanks for the tut, that's a gorgeous card shape.

NancyD said...

The fact Brenda that you figured it out without the special die is very impressive. A very lovely creation! NancyD

ALI said...

This is gorgeous, lovely soft colours.

Karen Petitt said...

Beautiful! Love all the little details, the gorgeous stamping and wonderful die cuts. I am wondering if I can create something similar with my Cuttlebug - an germ of an idea and CASE - will need to craft for a couple of hours to do what I am hoping. Thank you for the tut Karen x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Lovely! I have always wondered how to make this style! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! Your swing card is beautiful! I hope you are doing okay, Brenda, thinking about you and praying for your return to health.
Hugs,
Kitty

susiestacey said...

Lovely card Brenda, a great shape beautifully decorated x Susan x

Rhonda Miller said...

Your card is beautiful. I love how you've decorated the 'swinging' parts. Thanks for the tutorial.

Stamps and Paper said...

Brenda what a fabulous creation beautiful floral images .....thank also for sharing your brilliant tutorial

Anne

May said...

Gorgeous swing card Brenda, The tutorial is fantastic..Love the stamps & flowers you used... Simply Beautiful...Hugs May x x

Kathleen said...

Such a perfect, very, very pretty card, I actually thought you had used papers till I read the post and they were stamped.
Four fabulous images and gorgeous colours

Kath x

Michelle Pearson said...

you know I think this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-! We are so blessed to have you on the PPRS design team! :)

Gail said...

Just beautiful!
I'm going to try this when I have a chance! TFS!

Phi said...

Ooo I love this card. Thanks for the tutorial Brenda.

McCrafty's Cards said...

Thank you Brenda, its a beautiful card, I will give it ago when I have some time Kevin xx

Tracy said...

Brenda I really need to have a go at one of these, amazing and so clear, fab tutorial.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

mags said...

A gorgeous card Brenda and thanks for the tutorial.
Mags
x

Dwie lewe rÄ…czki said...

Thanks for a great tutorial!

Shazza said...

gorgeous x

Merry said...

Wonderful tutorial Brenda…thanks for taking the time to share these helpful photos.

scrappymo! said...

Gorgeous!!!